Posted On July 25, 2010
For the Rub:
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
Mix these together to make a rub.
For the rest:
- 1 3 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or 8 chicken thighs or similar)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 28 oz can ready-cut peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2/ cup chopped raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Rub the mix you made at the top onto the chicken. Save 2 Tbsp of the rub for the rice later.
- Dip chicken into flour, shake off excess.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet.
- Add chicken and brown well, turning frequently.
- Transfer chicken to paper towels and drain.
- Ad 2 onions, bell peppers, garlic and cumin to skillet and sauté until onions brown a bit.
- Mix in tomatoes, stock, green onions and 1/4 cup parsley.
- Arrange chicken in large baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake until cooked through, about 35 minutes, or longer to tenderfy the chicken even more.
Grab a beer, then make rice…
- Melt butter in heavy pan
- Add rice and remaining 2 tsp of spice rub. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat until rice is done…blah blah blah…you know how to make rice….
- Mix raisins into rice if you want (I don’t).
- Spoon rice onto platter, top with chicken, devour.