Skip to content
Turkey (or chicken) Vatapa
Posted On July 25, 2010
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 Cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 12-ounce can light beer
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 Cups chopped, skinned turkey (or chicken)
- 1/2 Cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a dutch oven (or a big pot)
- Add onion and garlic, sauté 2 minutes
- Add ginger and jalapeño sauté 30 seconds
- Stir in water, tomatoes, and beer. Bring to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes.
- Place peanuts in spice grinder, grind until fine. (you can substitute peanut butter too)
- Add peanuts, meat, and coconut milk to pan. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat to medium, bring to simmer, cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, cilantro, juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs if desired.