From a reddit post, placed here so I can find it quickly later
INGREDIENTS Basmati rice or naan
Chicken, 1.5-2 lbs, preferably with bone
Onion, 1 red or 2 yellow, about fist sized
Potatoes, 5-6 medium ‘size B’ (red skin)
Tomatoes, 2-3 Roma (twice as much if out of season)
Bay, 1 or 2 leaves
Green or Black Cardamom, 3-5 seeds
Thai Chilies, 5 or 6 or chili powder (Cayenne, 90 KHU works ok)
Cinnamon, 1 large stick or 2 medium
Garlic to taste
Ginger root, fresh
Salt, kosher, 4 tsp
Turmeric, 1 tsp (be careful, it will stain everything)
PREP Slice onion, tomatoes, and potatoes. Onion should be smallest, somewhere between dicing and chunking. Tomato and potato approximately into twelfths or sixteenths. Grate a handful of ginger.
1. Heat a capful of oil until it is fluid but not popping/smoking.
2. Add cinnamon, bay, cardamom, and heat briefly. —Crack green cardamom before adding, add black cardamom as is. —If these begin to burn, just continue immediately to next step.
3. Add onions, turn down the heat. Add ginger (and garlic). Caramelize the onions—not fully, just until they are a deep brown.
4. Add tomato and stir occasionally for several minutes. Continue until tomatoes are cooked and slightly limp.
5. Add salt, turmeric (chili powder goes in here), mix thoroughly.
6. Add potato and fresh chilies, and approximately 2 cups of water, stir occasionally, cover. –Slit chilies and remove stems before adding, and wash your hands. –Potatoes take forever, maybe nuke for 1-2 minutes before adding. –Water will continue to reduce as potatoes cook, add ¼ – ½ cup as necessary.
7. After the potatoes are finally done, add chicken to cook fully and finish the flavour.
8. You forgot to make rice.